Thursday, September 16, 2010

Out of Control

Hi All!

I hope you are all having great weeks!  I want to thank you for your prayers and let you know that I continue to be encouraged by all of you and the way I see God moving.  

One of the things I've been struggling with in preparing for this trip is knowing that I'm not in control of everything-- I don't know what this community is like, I've never been to a third world country, I can't speak Spanish, I don't know where I'm staying or what kind of service work I'll be doing, I don't know how the fundraising will go, how the flight will be, how I will get from here to there, etc.  I've been thinking about this the last week and suddenly God was saying, "Erin, you're not trusting me enough! I can take care of this!"  I think we all have moments where we struggle with this, where we want to have COMPLETE control over the situation, to know exactly what is going on at ALL times (I know I have many moments like this), but the truth is, we don't have control over everything, and that's where He comes in.  Do you ever have those times where you read something or see something and you feel like it's this "Ah Ha" moment, or sign, where God just all of a sudden makes it clear?  I've been reading and studying the book of Genesis over the past few weeks, and tonight I read through Genesis 16.  It's the story where Sarah, Abraham's wife, doesn't think she'll ever get pregnant because she's around 90 (yeah, pretty old to have a baby), so she has Abraham sleep with his servant so that she will have a child for them.  And yet, at 90 years old, she ends up having a son!  She didn't trust God, so she tried to take control of the situation herself, but He followed through, as He always does!!  So, just a short message tonight, but as I prepare my heart for this trip, a part of it is knowing that I don't have control over everything, that I need to put my trust in Him, and everything else will take care of itself :)  Pray that I will do my part, and that I will trust in Him to do the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment